By integrating Productboard with Amplitude, Product Managers will be able to more easily derive insights from qualitative and quantitative data and make better decisions on what to build next.
With this integration, you will now be able to:
- Aggregate customer and product data from multiple sources in a single place to get a richer view of how your feature is performing.
- Use built-in Amplitude cohorts to filter notes, features, and roadmaps, and create custom User Impact Scores
- Better serve your target persona by studying qualitative feedback alongside behavioral product data.
In this article:
- Installing the Amplitude integration
- Choosing which cohorts from Amplitude to sync
- Syncing cohorts
- Using Amplitude cohorts in Productboard
Installing the Amplitude integration
To install the Amplitude integration, follow the steps below:
- Get your Productboard access token. The access token will enable you to connect Productboard to Amplitude. To get the access token, click on the avatar and then Integrations ():
- Scroll down to Public API, and add a new access token by clicking the plus button ().
- Copy the access token, and store it in a secure location, as it will only be displayed once and you need it in the next steps.
- Finally, name the token, we recommend calling it: Amplitude Cohort Sync.
- Set up Productboard as an Amplitude data destination. In Amplitude, click on Data Destinations:
- To see the Productboard data destination, click View all destinations:
- Select Productboard and you’ll see this modal below. Name your integration, and paste the access token that you copied in step one.
- Finally, you need to define the matching key for Amplitude. You do this by choosing which Amplitude user properties match those listed on Productboard. Select the email and user_id properties and click Save.
The installation is now complete!
Note: Once you’ve installed the integration, no changes will occur within your Productboard or Amplitude instances.
Changes will only occur when you manually choose which cohorts you wish to sync with Productboard.
Choosing which cohorts from Amplitude to sync
Productboard’s Amplitude integration enables you to filter and assess features and feedback by Amplitude’s cohorts. In practice, you should be syncing company-based segments, user attribute cohorts, and user behavioral cohorts to Productboard.
Before syncing cohorts to your Productboard workspace, you need to determine which cohorts you wish to sync. Below you can find examples of useful cohorts you could choose.
Tip: To supercharge your analyses, we recommend having a deep set of user properties in your product analytics tool.
For example, Productboard has properties such as
We have also integrated Amplitude with Clearbit, which gives us additional user properties such as
Company-based segment examples
User attribute cohort examples
User behavioral cohorts
Once you created cohorts, you can start to sync them.
- In Amplitude, go to the Cohorts page:
- On the Cohorts page, click on the cohort you wish to export and press View cohort details:
- Here you can see the details associated with the cohort selected. To sync the cohort, click Sync to...
- Then, select Productboard:
- Select an API target, which is the integration name, and choose the sync cadence.
We recommend having your strategically essential cohorts as automated syncs, whereas one-time syncs are appropriate for project work:
That's it! It will take some time for the sync to complete, but you should be able to use the cohort on Productboard within approximately 30~minutes.
Resyncing one-time syncs
Automated syncs will automatically resync the cohort to Productboard on an hourly or daily basis.
One-time syncs will not automatically resync, but you can always resync through a single click in your Amplitude instance.
To resync a one-time sync:
- Click on a Cohort.
- Select Syncs.
- Then, click on Sync Now:
Using Amplitude cohorts in Productboard
Once you install the integration you can use Amplitude cohorts in Productboard. Below we will cover how you can use cohorts on the Features and Insights board.
- Checking feedback a cohort submitted
- Checking trends from a cohort
- Analyzing the user impact score broken down by cohort
Reviewing feedback provided by a cohort
You can check feedback submitted by a specific cohort by adding a filter on the Features board.
Click on Filter (), select Segments (), and select the Segments you'd like to look at:
Viewing trends from a cohort
If you want to see trends for a specific cohort add the segment as a filter on the Insights board, then click the Trends () tab:
Analyzing the user impact score and studying how it changes by cohort
If you want to see how important the features you're working on are for a specific cohort, you can add cohorts on the Features board.
Click the Segments () icon in the sidebar and select the cohorts you'd like to see on your board: