Integrating with Mixpanel will enable you to better understand customer feedback and features to build next based on their importance to your cohorts, segments, and personas.
This article covers:
- Installing the Mixpanel integration
- Choosing which cohorts from Mixpanel to sync
- Syncing cohorts
- Using Mixpanel cohorts in Productboard
Installing the Mixpanel integration
To install the Mixpanel integration, follow the steps below:
- Get your Productboard access token. The access token will enable you to connect Productboard to Mixpanel. To get the access token, click on the avatar and then Integrations ():
- Scroll down to Public API, and add a new access token by clicking the plus button ().
- Copy the access token, and store it in a secure location, as it will only be displayed once and you need it in the next steps.
- Finally, name the token, we recommend calling it: Mixpanel Cohort Sync.
- Go to Mixpanel, and click on Integrations:
- To see the Productboard integration, scroll down to Integrations:
- Select Productboard and in the dropdown click + Add Connection:
- Name your connector, paste the access token that you copied in step one, and click Continue, you'll see the message: Productboard connected successfully.
The installation is now complete!
Note: Changes will only occur when you manually choose which cohorts you wish to sync with Productboard.
Choosing which cohorts from Mixpanel to sync
Productboard’s Mixpanel integration enables you to filter and assess features and feedback by Mixpanel’s cohorts.
In practice, you should be syncing company-based segments, user attribute cohorts, and user behavioral cohorts to Productboard. Before syncing cohorts to your Productboard workspace, you need to determine which cohorts you wish to sync. Below you can find examples of useful cohorts you could choose.
Tip: To supercharge your analyses, we recommend having a deep set of user properties in your product analytics tool.
For example, Productboard has properties such as
We have also integrated Amplitude with Clearbit, which gives us additional user properties such as
Company-based segment examples
User attribute cohort examples
User behavioral cohorts
Once you created cohorts, you can start to sync them.
- In Mixpanel, go to the Cohorts page:
- On the Cohorts page, click on the cohort you wish to export and press Export to...:
- Choose the sync cadence. We recommend having your strategically essential cohorts as automated syncs, whereas one-time syncs are appropriate for project work.
Once you choose the cadence, click Begin Sync:
That's it! It will take some time for the sync to complete, but you should be able to use the cohort on Productboard within approximately 30~minutes.
Resyncing one-time syncs
As part of your Mixpanel subscription, you might have five automated syncs and an unlimited number of one-time syncs.
To resync a one-time sync:
- Click on a Cohort.
- Select Export to.
- Then, click on Start New Export:
Using Mixpanel cohorts in Productboard
Once you install the integration you can use Mixpanel cohorts in Productboard. Below we will cover how you can use cohorts on the Features and Insights board.
- Checking feedback a cohort submitted
- Checking trends from a cohort
- Analyzing the user impact score broken down by cohort
Verifying feedback provided by a cohort
You can check feedback submitted by a specific cohort by adding a filter on the Features board.
Click on Filter (), select Segments (), and select the Segments you'd like to look at:
Viewing trends from a cohort
If you want to see trends for a specific cohort add the segment as a filter on the Insights board, then click the Trends () tab:
Analyzing the user impact score and studying how it changes by cohort
If you want to see how important the features you're working on are for a specific cohort, you can add cohorts on the Features board.
Click the Segments () icon in the sidebar and select the cohorts you'd like to see on your board: