Adding your customers into Productboard lets you identify feedback they've submitted, surface feature ideas they've requested, and create custom roadmaps filtered for the features they care about most. Adding custom fields for those customers allows you to define segments, which are in turn, used to sort and filter features.
Note: Only trying to add a single company? See How to manually add a company to Productboard. Uploading company data from another source? See How to import company data via CSV.
In this article:
- How to configure your Salesforce integration
- How to filter which companies to import into Productboard
- How to link your Salesforce attributes to custom fields
- How to factor Salesforce Accounts’ attributes into your prioritization process
- How to refresh your Salesforce data
How to configure your Salesforce integration
Note: You'll need to be a System Administrator to follow the steps below.
- Click your account name in the top left corner to access your main menu. Click Integrations.
- Scroll to the CRMs section.
- Click on the + button to add a Salesforce integration.
- In a separate tab, open your Salesforce Setup page. In the left-hand menu under the Platform-tools section, open the Apps section and click on App Manager.
- Click on New Connected App.
- Give a name to your integration in the Connected App Name field.
- Enter a Contact Email.
- Check the box next to Enable OAuth Settings.
- Insert the following URL into Callback URL: https://app.productboard.com/gw/prioritization/salesforce/v1/auth/oauth2/callback
- In Selected OAuth Scopes, add the following scopes: Manage user data via APIs (api), Perform requests at any time (refresh_token, offline_access).
- Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click Save.
- Wait 10 minutes for these changes to go through before moving on. ⏰
- In the Connected App view, under API (Enable OAuth Settings), copy your Consumer Key. In your Productboard tab, paste your Consumer Key.
- Find your Consumer Secret. Click to reveal, then copy the key. In your Productboard tab, paste your Consumer Key.
- Click Save and authorize. A new window will appear, letting you know that your integration was authenticated.
Note: Seeing an "OAUTH_APP_ACCESS_DENIED" error message? See our troubleshooting instructions here
How to import some or all of your companies into Productboard
Before importing the Companies you have in Salesforce into Productboard, please ensure you're using the correct filters to select only the companies you want to import.
If you're unsure which filters to use, please work with your Salesforce administrator first to help you identify which filters to use.
It's essential to identify the correct filters because a large amount of duplicated companies could be imported with the same company name and domain. At present, there is no automatic process in place that allows you to delete or merge those duplicated companies.
- You will now see a new section called Accounts to import. If you wish to filter which Salesforce accounts are imported into your Productboard account, click Filter accounts to import.
Note: When using a multipicklist field type to filter your accounts, you are only able to use the "is", "is not" or "has any value" operators. It is not possible to choose a few values of a certain field e.g. "Contains: trials; customer," as the contains function is not supported.
- If you wish to import all Salesforce accounts, click Import all accounts.
- Click Save filters to begin importing your accounts data into Productboard. Please note that the larger the number of accounts you are importing, the longer it will take to finalize the import.
- Double-check the number of accounts you have set to import. Does this number look correct? If not, adjust your filters otherwise you risk importing a large amount of unnecessary or even redundant data.
How to filter which attributes to import into Productboard
Whether you're creating dynamic customer segments or learning useful business context, use filters to import only the Salesforce attributes that matter most to your team.
- We'll automatically suggest a few commonly-used Salesforce traits. However, if you don't want to import a suggested trait, simply hover over it and click the red X which appears.
- Click Add attribute to search for a Salesforce attribute.
- Click Save attributes to sync your changes.
Note: You do not need to select Account Name and Website as attributes to import as the Account name will be automatically linked with the Productboard Company name and Website will be automatically linked to Productboard Customer Domain.
How to link your Salesforce attributes to custom fields
- Scroll down to Your custom fields.
- Click Customize company fields. (You can also reach this page via Settings > Additional data fields > Company fields > Customize.)
- Click + Add Custom Field.
- On the left side, click Select data origin. Underneath the subsection From Salesforce, select the attribute you wish to map to a custom field.
- On the right side, write the name you wish to use for this attribute in Productboard.
- Continue adding custom fields at any time.
- Click Save.
Now that you’ve finished creating your custom company fields and filling them in via our Salesforce integration, it’s time to add them to a company segment.
How to factor Salesforce Accounts’ attributes into your prioritization process
Aggregated Company Field allows you to prioritize your feature requests based on revenue or other attributes that are tied to the companies that provide feedback on a specific feature.
What is Aggregated Company Field value?
This value is based on a numeric custom field of your imported companies. It aggregates that numeric value per feature for those companies that are submitted a note to request that feature, and that note was linked to it.
The aggregated company field values can be used to understand, for example, the revenue impact of your ideas (aggregated ARR, ACV, etc.) and help you with the prioritization. Since you can use it with any numeric custom fields of the companies, you can customize this value to your use case as well.
Adding the Aggregated Company Field to your Features Board
To enable the Aggregated company field, follow these steps:
- Access your Features board and click on the Add columns icon.
- Click on Custom Fields in the right-appearing modal to toggle on the Aggregated Custom Company Fields you want to display.
Note: If you can’t see any fields in the Aggregated Custom Company Fields section, then you have to create and populate the custom fields first. You can find help on how to import and populate custom company fields in How to import company data via CSV and help on how to do it via Salesforce in How to import company data via Salesforce.
- You can switch on one or more aggregated fields, and the corresponding column appears on the Features board.
- Aggregated Company field column’s data is not refreshing automatically, you will have to reload the page to see the updated values.
How to refresh your Salesforce data
Data from Salesforce must be manually re-synced to Productboard.
In your Integrations settings, scroll down to Update accounts import and click Update now to refresh your accounts data.
- Navigate to the Salesforce integration setup, and under Update import, click on Done.
- Click on Update now.