In this article:
- Which custom fields should I import from Salesforce to use the dynamic segmentation feature?
- Can I automatically import Salesforce company data without a CSV file?
- How does the Salesforce integration handle duplicate companies?
- When mapping Salesforce fields to Productboard's custom fields, am I able to grab data via lookup relationships across objects?
- How frequently does the Salesforce integration poll the API in a 24 hour window?
- If an Account is deleted in Salesforce, will the account be deleted from Productboard?
- Can I set up a sandbox instance to test the Salesforce integration?
- Why am I receiving an "OAUTH_APP_ACCESS_DENIED" error message when I try to set up my integration?
Which custom fields should I import from Salesforce to use the dynamic segmentation feature?
That depends on how you segment your customer base! By bringing in custom fields from Salesforce, you can create segments in Productboard which represent the customer cohorts that are most meaningful for your business.
Another way to approach this question is to ask, "What do I want to learn about my customer segments?"
For example, if you wanted to answer the question, "What features have been requested by UK companies in the SaaS industry with MRR >$500?" you'd need to create three custom fields: "Country", "Industry" and "MRR".
If you wanted to answer the question, "What problems have my Enterprise customers been mentioning?" you'd have to define which customers are considered Enterprise. Is "Enterprise" based on the number of employees at that company? The number of seats they're paying for? Their ARR? Whatever fields you use to define your Enterprise segment, you'd create those custom fields in Productboard.
Once you create the appropriate custom fields in Productboard, you're ready to create your dynamic segments.
P.S. Looking for ideas about which segments to build? We have some suggestions.
Can I automatically import Salesforce company data without a CSV file?
Makers can use the Salesforce integration to import company-level data (called Accounts in Salesforce) to Productboard.
At this time, there is no automatic sync between Salesforce to Productboard. In order to keep company data up-to-date, makers will need to update their data by re-importing from Salesforce. To re-import data manually, navigate to Settings > Integrations > Salesforce, then scroll down to the Update import section:
How does the Salesforce integration handle duplicate companies?
Productboard merges companies when the name & website match along with certain heuristics around the name. Here is a detailed breakdown:
- Multi-word names with and without spaces, e.g., Sumdock & Sum Dock
- Company websites with “-”, e.g., quantum-talent.com where Face-talent & Face Talent
- Names where one is with and one is without standard suffixes like GmbH, Inc., s.r.o., e.g., Kircle & Kircle Inc.
- Websites that have 2 top-level domains, e.g., kalingue.com.br (.com and .br) where Kalingue.com (Productboard) & Kalingue (Salesforce/CRM) will be merged
- Companies that have .io .ai, e.g., Numbelo & Numbelo.ai
- Names with special characters, e.g., Stary Petr & Starý Petr
If a duplicate arises, you can merge the two companies. Productboard will remember the merge and won’t create duplicates on your next re-import.
When mapping Salesforce fields to Productboard's custom fields, am I able to grab data via lookup relationships across objects?
We do not currently support Lookup fields. For example, we would not be able to grab data from other objects like Opportunities. We are hoping to add this functionality in the near future!
We do not currently support RecordType object fields. Some of our customers use these fields to specify Account type (e.g. Prospect, Customer, Partner). We are hoping to add this functionality in the near future as well.
How frequently does the Salesforce integration poll the API in a 24 hour window?
This depends on the number of accounts which need to be imported. We use 1 API call per batch of 5000 accounts, and we poll the status of the job created by Bulk API every 5 seconds.
Also, we use API calls to the REST API to fetch the metadata about the available fields for the Account object and the count of the Account records for configuration purposes.
If an Account is deleted in Salesforce, will the account be deleted from Productboard?
No. Currently, when a Salesforce Account is deleted, the company remains in Productboard.
Can I set up a sandbox instance to test the Salesforce integration?
At this time, the Salesforce <> Productboard integration does not support use with a Salesforce sandbox space.
Why am I receiving an "OAUTH_APP_ACCESS_DENIED" error message when I try to set up my integration?
Encountering this error when setting up your Salesforce integration?
This issue occurs when a connected app is created, but the API user is not authorized to access it. Due to the way the connected app was set up, all users that want to authenticate themselves through the app need to be approved by an admin.
To solve this issue, you can follow these simple steps:
1. From Setup, type 'Connected Apps' in the Quick Find box, then select Manage Connected Apps.
2. Click Edit next to the connected app for which you are configuring access.
3. Under OAuth Policies, click the Permitted Users dropdown menu and select All users may self-authorize, which allows all users in the org to authorize the app after successfully signing in. Users must approve the app the first time they access it.
Now you can try the authorization again.
If you are still having problems after completing this process, please check this Salesforce help page for more information.