Using the steps below, makers with admin access can customize their Portal's domain.
In this article:
- Create a custom CNAME record with your DNS provider
- Checking CAA records
- Set up a custom domain on your Productboard workspace
Create a custom CNAME record with your DNS provider
We recommend using Cloudflare when customizing your Portal’s domain:
DNS is included in their free plan. 📚 Check out this tutorial for detailed steps 🎉
You are welcome to choose a different provider, but we won’t be able to provide support during setup.
1. Go to your DNS provider’s website. If you’re choosing one for the first time, consider using Cloudflare or AWS Cloudfront, or make sure you go with another one that supports SSL.
2. Your domain nameservers need to point to the provider you will be using. Wait for
🚨 Important: DNS changes can sometimes take up to 72 hours to take effect but are typically much faster.
3. Go to the DNS section on your provider's website and add a CNAME record for your public Portal custom domain.
4. The name is based on the first part of your custom domain, e.g. if your custom domain is roadmap.example.com, use ‘roadmap‘.
5. Point the CNAME record at Productboard’s Portal domain: app.productboard.com.
Checking CAA records
In the following step Productboard will issue a certificate for your custom domain using Cloudflare’s integration with the Let’s Encrypt certificate authority. This step will ensure Let’s Encrypt can safely generate a certificate for you.
CAA DNS records are used to restrict which certificate authorities can generate certificates for your domains. Please check your DNS zones for CAA records, you can also use online tools such as this one from entrust.com.
If you do not use CAA records, feel free to skip ahead.
If you do use CAA records, please make sure you are allowing letsencrypt.org. This means having a CAA record such as 0 issue "letsencrypt.org" for your domain or any of its parent domains. For example if your custom domain is portal.example.com, it is also inheriting CAA records from example.com.
Example: adding a CAA record for roadmap.productboard.com on Cloudflare because another CAA record allowing only amazon.com exists for productboard.com
Set up a custom domain on your Productboard workspace
1. Go to your Productboard workspace.
2. Go to the Portal tab.
3. Click on 'Share'
4. In Portal share settings, select ‘Public,’ toggle on ‘Host Portal on your domain,’ add your custom domain, and then press ‘Save.’
Once saved, changes will be deployed on our back end. It might take up to 30 minutes for changes to take effect. Wait approx 30 minutes and try to visit the custom domain for your public Portal.
💡 If you can see your public Portal on your custom domain, your Portal is fully secured and ready to go. Users visiting your Portal will see the green lock icon in their browser, letting them know the site is secure. ✅
For troubleshooting steps, see the article Customize your Portal's domain troubleshooting guide.