Many of our customers are heavily invested in Slack and prefer to get any important
notifications on Slack rather than email. When "@" mentioning a contributor or maker on a feature, the notification will always come through as an email.
Our Slack integration provides feature updates that are posted on a specific channel. However, this integration posts all updates related to all features, which is often an information overload for customers.
This article provides customers with steps to have all their "@" mention notifications pushed from
email to a direct message on Slack so that they get the updates that matter most to the features they are following.
Note: These steps will need to be repeated for each Slack user that wants to utilize this feature.
To set up this feature in Slack, follow the steps below:
- Login to Slack.
- Go to Apps and click the + icon.
- Search for "email", and select the Email app.
- In the app page, click Add (if you already have this integration used for other purposes, click Configuration).
- On the Email app page,click the button “Add to Slack”.
- Under the configuration, select where you want emails to be posted to. You can choose to send it to you as a direct message by searching for and selecting your name.
- Click Add Email Integration.
- Under Integration Settings, you will be given an email address auto-generated for this
specific configuration. Copy this email address, then at the bottom of this page, click Save Integration.
Note: You will also get a copy of this email address directly sent to your email.
- Next, we will need to set up some filter rules so that any time a new email is sent to you
with specific criteria, it auto-forwards the email to the email address provided by this
Note: The next steps will vary depending on your email client.
- In Gmail, go to the Settings () and click See All Settings.
- Go to Forwarding and POP/IMAP, then click Add a Forwarding Address and input the email address previously captured during the setup of the Slack integration.
- In Slack, you will get a notification, expand this and click on the confirmation code so that this forwarding address can be used.
- Once the forwarding steps are complete, go to Filters and Blocked Addresses, then at the bottom click Create a New Filter.
- Input in the Subject “You've been mentioned in a feature discussion”, then click Create Filter.
- Check the box Forward it to: and select the forwarding address you set up, then select Create Filter to finalize the process.
Note: If you want this feature to be extended to note @ mentions, you can follow the same steps, but instead of using the subject line for the filter, use the From address email@example.com. Please note this may include other types of email notifications beyond note and feature @ mentions.
Moving forward all email notifications from @ mentions will come directly to your user in Slack, and will look like the below message when expanded: