It's now even easier for customer-facing contributors to submit user insights to Productboard, while reducing the time it takes to process such inputs.
In this article:
- Harness the knowledge of colleagues who communicate with customers every day
- Using the extension
- Try the extension yourself
- Propose a new partnership with your customer-facing colleagues
- Share the extension with customer-facing colleagues
- Send us your feedback
Harness the knowledge of colleagues who communicate with customers every day
Sales, customer success, marketing – all have valuable insights for the product team based on their interactions with customers, prospects, and the market at large. But these types of inputs often remain scattered across a number of systems, like Evernote, spreadsheets, Zendesk, Intercom, CRMs, or individual PMs' email inboxes.
The Productboard extension for Chrome helps your colleagues capture just the most actionable insights about users and their needs and submit them to your Insights board. Once in Productboard, these insights will help you prioritize what to build next. They'll also help designers and developers see the context behind each feature idea they're bringing to life.
Using the extension
Contributors can use the Productboard extension for Chrome to submit user insights – either by highlighting text on a webpage or webapp like Intercom, or by writing user insights in free-form.
When they indicate what user the feedback relates to, they'll also be able to see what features that user has already requested.
And by adding tags to new insights, contributors can begin to process them right in the extension. They can also continue linking insights to feature ideas on the Insights board.
Try the extension yourself
Before you get your colleagues involved, check out the extension yourself!
- Install the Productboard extension on the Chrome Web Store.
- Highlight text on any webpage (including web apps like Intercom), select the extension icon in your browser’s toolbar, and submit the insight.
- Select the extension icon without highlighting any text to write or paste user insights free-form.
- After entering the user who provided the feedback, see what features they've already requested, right in the extension.
- Find insights submitted from the extension in your Insights board. Highlight user insights and link them to related feature ideas, or @mention a colleague to start a discussion. (Contributors can also do this on notes that they create.)
- Invite additional customer-facing colleagues from sales, customer success, and marketing into your Productboard workspace as contributors.
Propose a new partnership with your customer-facing colleagues
If you'll be inviting colleagues into Productboard for the first time, you'll want to give them some context. Here's an email you could use to kick things off:
Dear <illustrious customer-facing colleague>,
I'm writing to propose partnering on a new initiative that will help us better understand the most important feedback you're hearing from users, so we can put it to use when prioritizing what to build.
Since your team is on the frontlines working with prospects/customers everyday, you have a lot of information about user needs that could help the product team make better decisions and enable our designers & developers to build better features.
On top of putting your feedback to use, we'd also like to be able to offer you more insight into what the product team is working on. For example, you'll be able to see:
- What features various users have requested in the past
- What feature ideas we're considering based on feedback you've provided
- What's on the roadmap, and what kinds of criteria we're using to decide what features get prioritized
Can we set up a brief meeting over the next day to discuss further?
<your name here>
Share the extension with customer-facing colleagues
If you've already given your colleagues some context and invited them into Productboard, ⭐️ here's an article you can send contributors ⭐️ to get them started submitting insights with the Productboard extension for Chrome.
Send us your feedback
Has your team started using the Productboard extension for Chrome? Tell us what's working and what you're missing. We'll use your ideas to improve this area of the product moving forwards.
Explore more tips about enabling contributors to effectively contribute insights and help your entire organization develop a deep understanding of what users really need.