This feature is currently available for invited participants in our private beta.
The Objectives board is ideal for aligning your product organization around your strategy. Define, communicate, and track your Objective and Key Results (OKRs). Link your objective to Features and visualize them over time on your Roadmaps.
In this article:
- Getting started with the Objectives board
- Editing objective details
- Add and edit objective key results
- Composing a Key Result update
Getting started with the Objectives board
The Objectives board in Productboard allows users to place existing objectives or create new ones in a hierarchical tree view. You can also add key results, update their progress and compose updates for the team.
To get started with the Objectives board:
- Navigate to your Objectives board.
- Click the left text field at the top to define your company vision.
- Click in the right text field at the top to define the reasoning that links your OKRs to your vision.
- Hover over a level name and click on the edit icon. Type the desired name and hit enter on your keyboard to save the name.
Adding and linking objectives
To add and link objectives:
- Add an existing or create a new objective by clicking the cell on the grid. Start typing the objective name to search existing objectives, or create a new objective by typing the name in the search field at the top and clicking Create to create a new objective with the specified name.
- Link objectives by clicking the bottom or top handle of an objective and clicking on the objective you want to link.
Note: It is possible to link a Parent objective to a Child objective.
- You can remove the objectives using the top right menu on the objective.
You can move objectives horizontally on the board.
Note: it is not possible to move them to another level yet.
Editing objective details
In the objectives details, you can easily update all the attributes on objectives.
- Level: View the objectives level in the hierarchy.
- Parent and Children: View the parent and child objectives that are related to this objective. It is not possible to edit this in the details view.
- Team: Assign or update the team working on the objective.
- Timeframe: Define or update the objectives timeframe by clicking on the date picker and selecting a start and end date.
- Theme: Define or update what theme the objectives belong to. Themes are unique to objectives.
Add and edit objective key results
To add and edit objective key results:
- Navigate to the objective details and click on the key results tab.
- Start entering the name of your first Key Result and hit enter to add the next Key Result.
- Hit the backspace on your keyboard or click outside the field to finish adding key results.
Note: The author of the objective will be assigned as the objective owner.
- Click Add start and target value and select what Units (numbers or percentages) you want to use for measuring the objective.
- All your changes will be logged in the history at the bottom.
Composing a Key Result update
To compose a Key Result update:
- Navigate to the objectives details and click on the key results tab.
- Click on the Key Result you want to update.
- Set a new value (optional).
- Set a new status (optional).
- Add a comment and click the Submit update button.
- When you have clicked the Submit Update button, your update will be shown in the Update Activity. As well as your activity in the History Log at the bottom.
View objectives levels on the roadmap
The objectives levels defined on the Objectives board will be shown as a label on the objectives in a Roadmap:
- The system is not sending email notifications to followers when clicking Submit update.
- It is not possible to edit comments in the Key Result Update
- There is no drag + drop of cards
- It's not possible to use an objectives List hierarchy view
- It's not possible to automatically roll up Key Result progress to objectives
- It's not possible to get a better overview of key results on the Objectives board
- It's not possible to draft objectives and key results or set them to status review/approve
- It's not possible to toggle objectives Labels on/off on the Roadmap
- It's not possible to filter objectives by teams, status, etc.
- It's not possible to use APIs for i.e. tracking Key Result progress in external systems, and updating Key Result progress in PB, among others.
- It’s not possible to manage permissions, roles, and rights
- It’s not possible to use a boolean (Completed/Not completed) as a unit for tracking key results.