Locking views allows you to control who can save changes to the view, whether it’s a note, features, roadmap, or customers view. By locking or unlocking the view, you can control which maker can save changes to shared views. This feature helps to prevent accidental changes to views by other makers with access to the view.
In this article:
- Locking and unlocking views
- Understanding the locking restrictions
- View ownership
- Views ownership and locking of newly created views
Locking and unlocking views
A view can be locked by toggling the option in the footer of the sharing settings.
This option is available to the view's owner and all admin makers.
Understanding the locking restrictions
Once the view is locked, only the owner or the admins can save changes to the view, update the sharing settings of a view or delete a view.
- Makers with access cannot save changes to the original view; they can only save it as a 'new view.’
- Makers with access can view the sharing settings but cannot change them.
- Only the owner and Maker admins can save changes to the view and edit the sharing settings.
- Only the owner and Maker admins can unlock the view.
When the view is unlocked, all makers can save changes, edit sharing settings and delete the view.
- All makers with access can edit the sharing settings or save changes on the view.
- The owner and Maker admins can lock the view.
All newly created or shared views have owners, but some of the older views or views with no longer active owners might not have the owner assigned. The owner must be assigned for the locking to be available. To lock a view, it needs to have an owner assigned.
To assign an owner to views, follow these steps:
- Click Share in the header of a view. (If you don't see the Share button, click the Save button, and the Share button will appear).
- Click the Assign owner button and choose the view Owner. Alternatively, click the Options () button next to a name and click Make owner. This option is currently unavailable for note views.
- Only Makers with Admin access or the current owners of the view can assign owners.
- Only makers can be assigned ownership.
- Admins can re-assign owners to all views that are publicly shared.
Views ownership and locking of newly created views
When you create a new view (either via + Create view, Save as new or Duplicate actions), the creator is automatically assigned as the view's owner.
The owner can then reassign a view to another maker. The previous owner transfers their view edit rights to the new owner.
All newly created views are created as private and unlocked by default.
Article is closed for comments.