You can use the RICE score formula to get started with prioritizing your features and subfeatures quickly. Using this popular prioritization framework, you can decide what to build next by scoring your ideas against the RICE score formula: reach, impact, confidence, and effort.
This article covers:
- Adding the RICE score formula to your features board
- Assigning values to the RICE score fields
- Sorting features and subfeatures by RICE score
- Removing the RICE score formula from your features board
Adding the RICE score formula to your features board
To add the RICE score formula to your features board:
- Click on Formulas () in the sidebar.
- Toggle on RICE score:
Assigning values to the RICE score fields
After you have enabled the RICE score formula on your features board, you can now set a value for each field that makes the RICE score: reach, impact, confidence, and effort.
To do that, on your features board, enter a numeric value for each field and the RICE score will automatically be calculated:
- You can enter a numeric value per field: Reach, Impact, and Effort.
- In the confidence field, you can enter a percentage value such as 70% or select a value in the dropdown (0-100%)
- In the effort field, you can select a predefined value in the dropdown (0, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 20, 40, 100) or you can enter any other numeric value, decimals are also supported (i.e. 0.7).
Sorting features and subfeatures by RICE score
After you have a RICE score assigned for every feature and subfeature, you can sort your view by RICE score to decide which feature and subfeature should be prioritized next.
To do that:
- Hover on the RICE score column title.
- Click on Filters (). Here you can choose to display only certain RICE score values on your features board or you can sort the RICE score by clicking on Sort ().
- Click on Clear () to remove any filters you applied:
Note: Subfeatures will sort under the parent feature.
Removing the RICE score formula from your features board
To remove the RICE score formula from your features board, follow these steps:
- Click on Formulas () in the sidebar, and toggle off the RICE score.
- Then, if you want to remove all the fields, click on each of them and toggle them off one by one:
- It's not possible to change the components of the RICE score formula.
- It's only possible to sort by RICE score on views displayed as a Sorted List (). Sorting by RICE score on any other view type will default the view to Sorted List.