Our Features Launch roadmap is a great way to communicate high-level plans with go-to-market teams without having to create multiple different views or share specific dates.
By creating a Feature launch roadmap or enabling time horizons on an existing high-level objectives roadmap or release timeline roadmap, you can:
- create a high level, date-based roadmap in just a few clicks
- easily tailor your dates to different levels of granularity for each audience
- create a high-level release calendar for go-to-market teams
In this article:
- How to create a Feature launch roadmap
- How to zoom into your Features launch roadmap
- How to organize your Features launch roadmap
- How to share and export your Features launch roadmap
- When to use a Features launch roadmap
- Learn more about using Features launch roadmaps
How to create a Feature launch roadmap
Create your roadmap
- Navigate to your Roadmap board.
- From the dropdown menu, select Create Roadmap.
- Select Feature launch from the left menu.
- Click Choose roadmap.
Add features to your roadmap
- When you create your timeline roadmap, any features with a date range assigned will be added to your roadmap automatically.
- To add an existing feature to your timeline, click into the appropriate section of your timeline, begin typing the name of your feature and select it from the drop-down menu which appears.
- To create a new feature and add it to your timeline, click into the appropriate section of your timeline, type the name of your new feature and click Create new.
- When time horizons are turned on, dragging and dropping a feature around your roadmap will automatically update that feature's timeframe.
Remove features to your roadmap
- Click on a feature to display the feature detail view.
- In the Timeframe field, click on either end of a time frame to open a calendar popup.
- Click Clear. As soon as at least one-half of the timeframe has been cleared, the feature will disappear from your roadmap.
Rearrange feature timeframe and order
- Drag and drop the ends of each feature card to adjust the start and stop dates of the timeframe field.
- Drag and drop feature cards to adjust the order in which they are displayed.
- Drag and drop a feature card to automatically update its timeframe field.
Note: Whenever you change the feature timeframe or release an email notification is sent to owners and/or followers when the option is enabled in Labs ().
Display time horizons on your roadmap
Note: Turning on time horizons is only a change in visualization. It won't affect the timeframes you've assigned to your features.
- Click the Settings menu in the top right corner.
- Under Timeline Settings, toggle on Time horizons. This will round up specific dates on your roadmap into broader time horizons, and automatically align your cards into the correct column.
- Select Duration to visualize duration or End date to visualize anticipated release date.
- Click Save roadmap in the top right corner before sharing your roadmap.
When time horizons are turned on, dragging and dropping a feature around your roadmap will automatically update that feature's timeframe.
Switch between a weekly, monthly, or quarterly format
To change your timeline granularity, simply select a different option from the dropdown menu in the top navigation bar. Your features will automatically rearrange into the correct position based on their timeframe. Don't forget to click Save before sharing!
Switch between duration vs. release date
Tip: Sharing with go-to-market teams? Eliminate confusion about when features will be available to customers by using the End date option.
When Time horizons are toggled on, you have three options:
- Visualize your features' duration (how long your team plans to work on or deliver the feature) by using Duration
- Visualize your features' anticipated release date by using End dates
You can switch between these two modes by selecting Settings in the top right corner, then under Timeline settings select the visualization you prefer. Don't forget to click Save before sharing!
When you switch visualization modes, your features will be rearranged into the appropriate columns - but this is only a change in visualization, and will not affect the features' assigned timeframe.
Add milestones to your roadmap
- Click above the top of your roadmap to place a milestone. Adjust the date via the drop-down calendar field if necessary.
- When adjusting a feature's timeframe, a guideline will appear when the timeframe approaches near a milestone.
How to zoom into your Features launch roadmap
In the bottom right corner of any timeline roadmap, you will see -100%+ indicating the current level of granularity. Click the minus button to zoom out and click the plus button to zoom in.
If using a trackpad enabled device, you can zoom in and out of a timeline roadmap by pinching.
How to organize your Features launch roadmap
- Click Settings to open up the configuration menu.
- Click Swimlanes to organize your roadmap horizontally.
- Toggle Time horizons to display your features organized into broader time horizons.
- Select Feature visualization to decide whether time horizons are rounded by duration or end date.
- Toggle Effort to display story points on each feature card.
- Toggle Owner to display the owner's avatar on each feature card.
- Scale and Enterprise plans: Toggle Objectives to display any objectives associated with that feature.
- Toggle User impact score to display the user impact score of a feature on its card.
- Toggle Tags to display associated tags of a feature on its card.
- Scale and Enterprise plans: Toggle Enable dependencies to monitor your delivery process for possible conflicts.
- Toggle Show subfeatures to display associated subfeature cards.
- Toggle Show hidden cards to display feature and subfeature cards which have been manually hidden from contributors.
How to share and export your Features launch roadmap
- After making any configuration changes, click Save roadmap. You will see confirmation once your roadmap changes have been saved, and the Save button will read Share.
- Click Share to configure your roadmap sharing settings.
- Click Print to print your roadmap.
- Click Export to image to generate a PNG of your roadmap. Specify the relevant date range and click Export.
When to use a Features launch roadmap
Features launch roadmaps are good for:
- Sharing upcoming releases with go-to-market teams or large audiences: time horizons help your colleagues communicate your plan to customers without overcommitting your team to specific dates.
- Showing the timeline of a feature separately from any timelines concerning larger releases or objectives.
- Tracking progress internally towards time-bound milestones.
Features timeline roadmaps might not be good for:
- Planning with your product team: time horizons are meant to be broad - your delivery team needs the nitty-gritty details and deadlines!
- Discussing features that are bundled into releases. Since this view is very granular, it requires more maintenance. If your features are associated with releases, consider a Releases timeline roadmap - changing a release's timeframe will dynamically update the timeframe for all of its associated features.
Learn more about using Features launch roadmaps