Communicate a high-level plan of measurable, time-bound goals across different teams over time. This visualization is ideal for aligning your product organization around outcomes - without prescribing specific solutions.
Note: This roadmap is available to users on a Scale or Enterprise plan.
In this article:
- How to create an Objectives timeline roadmap
- When to use an Objectives timeline roadmap
- Learn more about using Objectives timeline roadmaps
How to create an Objectives timeline roadmap
Create your roadmap
- Navigate to your Roadmap board.
- From the drop-down menu, select Create Roadmap.
- Select Objectives timeline roadmap from the left menu.
- Click Choose roadmap.
Add objectives to your roadmap
- Click the blue button to display a list of your objectives. Click on an objective to add it to the roadmap.
- Click onto a blank space on the roadmap to create a search bar. Click the name of an existing objective to add it to your roadmap. If the objective already has a designated timeframe, you can keep that timeframe or update it.
- Click onto a blank space on the roadmap to create a search bar. Write the name of a new objective and click Create to create a new objective with the specified timeframe.
You can also assign a timeframe to an objective by clicking on that objective's name, whether it's from an objective column or from the objectives menu on the right sidebar:
Configure objective status and visibility
- Click on the flag on the right side of an objective card to adjust the status of the objective. Note: this will not impact the feature status of any underlying feature cards.
- Click on a downward facing caret to reveal underlying features and subfeatures attached to a release.
- Click the ・・・menu and select Hide to prevent contributors and viewers from seeing this card. You can choose to reveal hidden cards via your Settings menu if you wish.
- Click the ・・・ menu and select Remove from roadmap to remove the objective from your roadmap. This action will not delete the objective object, or impact the relationship between your objective and any underlying features.
Rearrange objective timeframe and order
- Drag and drop the ends of each objective card to adjust the start and stop dates of the timeframe field.
- Drag and drop objective cards to adjust the order in which they are displayed.
- Drag and drop an objective card to automatically update its timeframe field.
Align features under an objective
The Objectives timeline roadmap makes it easy to align the timeframe of your individual features with the timeframe of your overall release.
If a feature associated with an objective has a timeframe outside the date range of the objective, the roadmap will display an overlap, indicated with a transparent background and a dashed outline.
To address an overlap:
- Adjust the timeframe of the objective by double-clicking on the overlap or dragging and dropping the end of the objective to align with the outlying feature.
- Adjust the timeframe of the feature by dragging and dropping the feature along the timeframe, or clicking on the feature to edit the date field.
- If a feature does not have its own timeframe, it will display transparently on the roadmap.
- Hovering over the feature will reveal a calendar icon. Click on the calendar icon to assign the objective's timeframe to the feature.
- To remove a feature's timeframe, click ••• on a feature, then select Clear timeframe.
Features with assigned timeframes can be dragged and dropped into the same line:
Add milestones to your roadmap
- Click above the top of your roadmap to place a milestone. Adjust the date via the drop-down calendar field if necessary.
- When adjusting an objective's timeframe, a guideline will appear when the timeframe approaches near a milestone.
How to organize your Objectives timeline roadmap
- Click Settings to open up the configuration menu.
- Click Swimlanes to organize your roadmap horizontally.
- Select the calendar if you need to adjust when your business quarters begin.
- Toggle Effort to display story points on each feature card.
- Toggle Owner to display the owner's avatar on each feature card.
- Toggle Priority to display how important this feature is towards the overarching objective.
- Toggle Team to display the team associated with the overarching objective.
- Toggle Show subfeatures to display associated subfeature cards.
- Toggle Show hidden cards to display feature and subfeature cards which have been manually hidden from contributors.
Change timeline cadence
- Click the cadence menu next to Settings.
- Select the desired structure: Weekly, Monthly or Quarterly.
Add custom swimlanes
- Click Settings to open up the configuration menu.
- Click the Swimlanes drop-down menu and select Custom.
- Rename your default swimlane.
- Scroll down to click [+] to create another swimlane.
- Drag and drop features into the desired swimlane.
How to share and export your Objectives timeline roadmap
- After making any configuration changes, click Save roadmap. You will see confirmation once your roadmap changes have been saved, and the Save button will read Share.
- Click Share to configure your roadmap sharing settings.
- Click Print to print your roadmap.
- Click Export to image to generate a PNG of your roadmap. Specify the relevant date range and click Export.
When to use an Objective timeline roadmap
Objective timeline roadmaps are good for:
- High-level planning to ensure you're going to hit your most important deadlines and milestones.
Objective timeline roadmaps might not be good for:
- Tactical meetings - resource allocation and sprint planning should involve more granular details. Consider a Releases timeline roadmap or a Features timeline roadmap.