Plan and monitor delivery work across different teams or products in a single view. This visualization is ideal if you want to get a 1000-foot view of how work is progressing toward a deadline or milestone.
In this article:
- How to create a Features timeline roadmap
- Create your roadmap
- Add features to your roadmap
- Remove features from your roadmap
- Rearrange feature timeframe and order
- Add milestones to your roadmap
- How to zoom into your Features timeline roadmap
- How to organize your Features timeline roadmap
- How to share and export your Features timeline roadmap
- When to use a Features timeline roadmap
- Learn more about using Features timeline roadmaps
How to create a Features timeline roadmap
Create your roadmap
- Navigate to your Roadmap board.
- From the drop-down menu, select Create Roadmap.
- Select Features timeline roadmap from the left menu.
- Click Choose roadmap.
Add features to your roadmap
- When you create your timeline roadmap, any features with a date range assigned will be added to your roadmap automatically.
- To add an existing feature to your timeline, click into the appropriate section of your timeline, begin typing the name of your feature and select it from the drop-down menu which appears.
- To create a new feature and add it to your timeline, click into the appropriate section of your timeline, type the name of your new feature and click Create new.
Since features with assigned date ranges are automatically added to your timeline, you can add a feature to your roadmap by editing the Timeframe field in your feature view:
Remove features from your roadmap
- Click on a feature to display the feature detail view.
- In the Timeframe field, click on either end of a time frame to open a calendar popup.
- Click Clear. As soon as at least one half of the timeframe has been cleared, the feature will disappear from your roadmap.
Rearrange feature timeframe and order
- Drag and drop the ends of each feature card to adjust the start and stop dates of the timeframe field.
- Drag and drop feature cards to adjust the order in which they are displayed.
- Drag and drop a feature card to automatically update its timeframe field.
Note: Whenever you change the feature timeframe or release an email notification is sent to owners and/or followers when the option is enabled in Labs ().
Add milestones to your roadmap
- Click above the top of your roadmap to place a milestone. Adjust the date via the drop-down calendar field if necessary.
- When adjusting a feature's timeframe, a guideline will appear when the timeframe approaches near a milestone.
How to zoom into your Features timeline roadmap
In the bottom right corner of any timeline roadmap, you will see -100%+ indicating the current level of granularity. Click the minus button to zoom out and click the plus button to zoom in.
If using a trackpad-enabled device, you can zoom in and out of a timeline roadmap by pinching.
How to organize your Features timeline roadmap
- Click Settings to open up the configuration menu.
- Click Swimlanes to organize your roadmap horizontally.
- Select the calendar if you need to adjust when your business quarters begin.
- Toggle Effort to display story points on each feature card.
- Toggle Owner to display the owner's avatar on each feature card.
- Scale and Enterprise plans: Toggle Objectives to display any objectives associated with that feature.
- Toggle Show subfeatures to display associated subfeature cards.
- Toggle Show hidden cards to display feature and subfeature cards which have been manually hidden from contributors.
Change timeline cadence
- Click the cadence menu next to Settings.
- Select the desired structure: Weekly, Monthly or Quarterly.
Add custom swimlanes
- Click Settings to open up the configuration menu.
- Click the Swimlanes drop-down menu and select Custom.
- Rename your default swimlane.
- Scroll down to click [+] to create another swimlane.
- Drag and drop features into the desired swimlane.
How to share and export your Features timeline roadmap
- After making any configuration changes, click Save roadmap. You will see confirmation once your roadmap changes have been saved, and the Save button will read Share.
- Click Share to configure your roadmap sharing settings.
- Click Print to print your roadmap.
- Click Export to image to generate a PNG of your roadmap. Specify the relevant date range and click Export.
When to use a Features timeline roadmap
Features timeline roadmaps are good for:
- Planning with your product team: this view lets you align on dependencies, and allocate resources when and where they're needed.
- Showing the timeline of a feature separately from any timelines concerning larger releases or objectives.
- Aligning on very large or very small features, since you can display subfeatures.
- Tracking progress internally towards time-bound milestones.
Features timeline roadmaps might not be good for:
- Sharing with large audiences or customer-facing teams - you don't want to commit your team to a specific release date too far in advance! Providing lots of information early on creates a lot of expectations for your team. Instead, consider a Now-next-later roadmap or a Kanban roadmap.
- Discussing features which are bundled into releases. Since this view is very granular, it requires more maintenance. If your features are associated with releases, consider a Release timeline roadmap - changing a release's timeframe will dynamically update the timeframe for all of its associated features.