Your roadmap tells a story about your product - and sometimes a big story needs to be broken into chapters for easier reading. Use swimlanes to arrange your feature ideas for greater clarity and storytelling.
In this article:
- How to add swimlanes to your roadmap
- How to add a custom swimlane
- How to reorder a custom swimlane
- How to rename or remove a custom swimlane
- How to add a Product swimlane
- How to hide or collapse a Product swimlane
How to add swimlanes to your roadmap
Add swimlanes to your roadmap using the Settings menu:
The types of swimlane you can add to your roadmap depend on the type of roadmap you're creating.
- Release plan, Sprint plan, Now-next-later, and Kanban roadmaps can use Products as swimlanes, custom swimlanes, or no swimlanes.
- Features timeline, Releases timeline and Objectives timeline roadmaps can custom swimlanes or no swimlanes.
How to create a custom swimlane
- Click + Swimlane to create a new swimlane.
- Give your swimlane a name and hit return.
- To create another swimlane, click + Swimlane below.
- To move a feature to another swimlane, simply drag and drop that feature into the desired swimlane.
How to reorder a custom swimlane
- Click on a swimlane title and hold down.
- Drag and drop the swimlane to the desired position.
How to rename or remove a custom swimlane
- Hover over a swimlane title and click the ・・・which appears.
- Click Rename to edit the name of your swimlane.
- Click Remove to delete the swimlane. This will not impact features associated with your swimlane. Any features in a deleted swimlane will be migrated to the next swimlane.
How to add a Product swimlane
Product swimlanes are generated automatically from your product hierarchy:
To create a new product in your roadmap, you'll need to create a new product in your Features hierarchy:
Note: A product will not appear on your timeline until at least one of its features meets the roadmap's inclusion criteria. For example, in a Release plan or Sprint plan roadmap, a product will show up as a swimlane once once of its features is assigned to one of the selected releases.
How to hide or collapse a swimlane
- Hover over a swimlane and click the ・・・ menu which appears.
- Select Collapse to collapse the swimlane.
- Select Expand to restore the swimlane.
- Select Hide to prevent contributors and viewers from seeing this swimlane or its associated features. (Learn more about access roles here.)
- Select Show to restore the visibility of a hidden swimlane.
- Don't forgive to click Save roadmap in the top right corner to save changes to swimlane visibility!
Note: Contributors and viewers will be able to collapse or expand a swimlane. This is the only modification they are able to make, and will not impact the "default" view.