Your roadmap tells a story about your product - and sometimes a big story needs to be broken into chapters for easier reading. Use swimlanes to arrange your feature ideas for greater clarity and storytelling.
In this article:
- Adding swimlanes to your roadmap
- Adding custom swimlanes
- Renaming or removing custom swimlanes
- Adding Product swimlanes
- Adding custom field swimlanes
- Hiding, collapsing, or reordering swimlanes
Adding swimlanes to your roadmap
Add swimlanes to your roadmap using the Settings () menu:
The types of swimlane you can add to your roadmap depend on the type of roadmap you're creating.
- Release plan, Sprint plan, Now-next-later, and Kanban, Feature timeline, Feature launch, and Kanban roadmaps can use Products as swimlanes, custom swimlanes, custom field swimlanes, or no swimlanes.
- Releases timeline and Objectives timeline roadmaps can use custom swimlanes or no swimlanes.
Adding custom swimlanes
To add custom swimlanes:
- Select Custom swimlane type in the settings
- Click + Swimlane to create a new swimlane.
- Give your swimlane a name and hit return.
- To create another swimlane, click + Swimlane below.
- To move a feature to another swimlane, simply drag and drop that feature into the desired swimlane.
Note: These swimlanes are only used on this view, can not be re-used on other roadmaps
Renaming or removing custom swimlanes
To rename or remove custom swimlanes:
- Hover over a swimlane title and click the dots icon () which appears.
- Click Rename to edit the name of your swimlane.
- Click Remove to delete the swimlane. This will not impact features associated with your swimlane. Any features in a deleted swimlane will be migrated to the next swimlane.
Adding Product swimlanes
Product swimlanes are generated automatically from your product hierarchy. To create a new product in your roadmap, you'll need to create a new product in your Features hierarchy first.
To add Product swimlanes:
- When viewing your roadmap, click Settings ().
- Under Swimlanes, select Product (). You'll see your Product swimlanes on your roadmap.
Note: A product will not appear on your timeline until at least one of its features meets the roadmap's inclusion criteria. For example, in a Release plan or Sprint plan roadmap, a product will show up as a swimlane once one of its features is assigned to one of the selected releases.
Adding custom field swimlanes
Organize your roadmap by the criteria that matter most to your team. If you've created a custom dropdown field, you can organize your feature roadmap by those field values in a single click.
- Click Settings ().
- Click the Swimlanes menu, and scroll down to a list of your Custom Fields.
- Select the custom field to generate swimlanes for each field value.
Hiding, collapsing, or reordering swimlanes
To collapse, expand, hide and reorder swimlanes:
- Hover over a swimlane and click the dots icon() which appears.
- Select Collapse to collapse the swimlane.
- Select Expand to restore the swimlane.
- Select Hide to prevent contributors and viewers from seeing this swimlane or its associated features. (Learn more about access roles here). To show hidden items on your roadmap, toggle on Show hidden items under Settings ().
- Select Show to restore the visibility of a hidden swimlane.
- To reorder swimlanes, click on a swimlane title and hold down.
- Drag and drop the swimlane to the desired position.
- Don't forget to click Save roadmap in the top right corner to save changes to swimlane visibility!
Note: Contributors and viewers will be able to collapse or expand a swimlane. This is the only modification they are able to make, and will not impact the "default" view.